Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Super Mecha Champions Review: Combat System

Hello. This review is a subjective review, Hope you can take it with a grain of salt.

Personally, I don't think Super Mecha Champions' combat system is much different from normal FPS games. However, the fact that it has a concept like the Gundam game is transformed to Battle Royale is what makes Super Mecha Champions a little new thing from the existing games, and each mecha has only 3 to 4 skills so that anyone can easily play it. I think it's commendable that it's made simple so that you can try out a variety of mechas.

I'll tell you why. I'm playing a game called Kurtzpel at the same time. Since there are so many combos per weapon in that game, it takes quite a while to master one weapon. You can think of one weapon in Kurtzpel as one mecha in Super Mecha Champions. This means that once you get used to it, switching to another weapon is quite difficult compared to Super Mecha Champions. If you try to change the weapon you use, you will experience insane defeats for a long time until you get used to the weapon. If Super Mecha Champions was a game like this, where you have to invest a fairly long time to master a single mecha, the profit the developers get from selling mechas would be small.

Of course, a game that allows you to easily switch between your favorite tools, like Super Mecha Champions, isn't always the right thing to do in the esports market. For instance, there are many successful cases in the esports market where, unlike Super Mecha Champions, you can win by being strong in only one thing. StarCraft is an example, and in that game, it is rare for pro gamers to change the tool (race) that they mainly play.

I'm not saying which of the two is better design. However, if it is easy to change tools (mecha), the company may probably make more profits because it's easy, it's easier to migrate to another mecha, and as a result clients buy more mechas. I personally think being good at one thing in-depth fits more into 1vs1 games design and in-fact 1vs1 fighting games provide many ways of combo things that take a long time to master. Similarly, if you ever watched a tournament of StarCraft, they are also 1vs1 in the most cases.

As such, the game simplifies when it's easy to master any one tool like Super Mecha Champions. In this case, the factor that usually determines victory or defeat is not Micro Control, but a person's wit. Of course, some micro control is required. The Super Mecha Champions combat system demands your wits. The wit here refers to how well you take actions, or react, depending on the each situation, not the Micro Control that you hit as long as possible each moment you get a chance to continue attacking like a combo thing in a fighting game.

Personally, the one thing I regret about the combat system of this game is that I would like the mecha skill to increase by one more. The skill info window shows 4 skills, but in reality, one of them is a normal attack or jump skill, so in reality there are only 2 or 3 skills for each mecha in this game. It's actually too simplistic. By adding one more skill per mecha, I wish the combat system could be a little bit more complex. Also, the effects of modules and tech slots are so small that it often leads me to wonder why does that even mean to exist. It would be a lot more fun if it doubled those effects.

Anyway, as of November 2021, if I were to give the Super Mecha Champions combat system a score as a PvP game, I'd give it 8/10. I would have gave 9+ if the game was little more complex but not that much complex even hard to play or hard to switch which prevents company's income.

Please leave a comment if you think my score is weird, or the review is weird, or if you have something you'd like to add!
Jotaku, Anime Game Gamer
I. Super Mecha Champions NA Legendary Tier
II. Tokyo Ghoul: re Call to Exist NA Top #2
III. Fate/EXTELLA Link: NA Top #9
IV. Senran Kagura PEACH BEACH SPLASH: NA Top #3

Share this thread in social media

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Jotaku
09-02-2022, 02:33 AM