Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What would trigger Bandai Namco to update Tokyo Ghoul:re Call to Exist?

http://gamstat.com/games/Tokyo_Ghoul_re_Call_to_Exist/

[Image: skWvBPx.png]

TG:CTE got 4100 new users last month (wasn't even on sale last month though), and still game got no updates at all. 

Let' see other games that Bandai Namco have updated game so far:

[Image: qZTO4a6.png]

I think most of this SAO series got updates. I am not sure if Accel World vs. Sword Art Online ever got any updates. But for Hollow Frament and all above that, I am sure they got updates. Obviously they sell much more than Tokyo Ghoul:re Call to Exist so that it is quite natural for SAO series to get updates.

[Image: vVkusbT.png]

This is another game that is one of mainstream game series that Bandai Namco sells, God Eater series. I witnessed lots of updates for God Eater 3 so far, and its selling amount is only little bit higher than Tokyo Ghoul:re Call to Exist's. So, does that mean that 5000 ~ 7000 new user per month triggers Bandai Namco to update the game?

Lastly, let's see the game that got some updates in first half of an year since release, then now stopped updating:

[Image: PEP8Vhw.png]

Ok, I guess sales amount of this game is smaller than Tokyo Ghoul:re Call to Exist, but still the fact is that they got some updates while Tokyo Ghoul:re Call to Exist have never gotten yet.

How many more people would trigger Bandai Namco update Tokyo Ghoul:re Call to Exist, you expect? Or does the number matter at all? Or are we missing some major point that is more important for updating the game than just plain number of players? What do you think?
Jotaku, Anime Game Gamer
I. Super Mecha Champions NA Legendary Tier
II. Tokyo Ghoul: re Call to Exist NA Top #2
III. Fate/EXTELLA Link: NA Top #9
IV. Senran Kagura PEACH BEACH SPLASH: NA Top #3
Yes Accel World vs Sword Art Online got a few updates too.

I hope that they update Tokyo Ghoul, there is a lot of potential in this game. I think it's hard to compare Sword Art Online, or God Eater because they have already made several titles and they continuously sell moderately well (or incredibly well in Sword Art Online case) so there is little risk of updating the game and not getting much in sales by it.

You also have to keep in mind that Tokyo Ghoul released only not too long ago, and most of the new players come within the first few months of release, and then holidays after (christmas, ect.) It released in November and it's numbers are still relatively low, so I think it's unlikely we'll get anything at all, and if we even do it won't be anything major.

I think the failure of the Tokyo Ghoul:re anime is a major part of this game not being crazy successful. It's obvious they already planned this announcement mid airing of Re to get more players in, they expected the series to do well due to that. But cause the anime flopped, so did a lot of potential buyers for this game. Such a shame since the manga is truly a masterpiece in my opinion, it deserves better treatment and so does the game.
(04-05-2020, 10:06 PM)RainVGC Wrote:  Yes Accel World vs Sword Art Online got a few updates too.

I hope that they update Tokyo Ghoul, there is a lot of potential in this game. I think it's hard to compare Sword Art Online, or God Eater because they have already made several titles and they continuously sell moderately well (or incredibly well in Sword Art Online case) so there is little risk of updating the game and not getting much in sales by it.

You also have to keep in mind that Tokyo Ghoul released only not too long ago, and most of the new players come within the first few months of release, and then holidays after (christmas, ect.) It released in November and it's numbers are still relatively low, so I think it's unlikely we'll get anything at all, and if we even do it won't be anything major.

I think the failure of the Tokyo Ghoul:re anime is a major part of this game not being crazy successful. It's obvious they already planned this announcement mid airing of Re to get more players in, they expected the series to do well due to that. But cause the anime flopped, so did a lot of potential buyers for this game. Such a shame since the manga is truly a masterpiece in my opinion, it deserves better treatment and so does the game.

So.. You think the number of anime game sales depends on the success of its anime. And in that point, Tokyo Ghoul has failed its anime, Tokyo Ghoul Re which you said.
And because of that the developers have planned not to neither too seriously focus on TG:CTE nor secure an enough budget for TG:CTE to update. I kinda agree because tbh this game looks like alpha version on its tests. Combat mechanic is still very good though which remained "potential".

Unless this game makes lots of new players like SAO, then there seems like really no way that would trigger devs to update the game because its anime has been failed and that's just a fact.

Both God Eater and Code Vein makes lots of sales but they do not originate from the anime but started first as anime games, I quite envy that because that shows how an anime game with quality can survive by itself without any aids of anime.
Jotaku, Anime Game Gamer
Quote:So.. You think the number of anime game sales depends on the success of its anime. And in that point, Tokyo Ghoul has failed its anime, Tokyo Ghoul Re which you said.
And because of that the developers have planned not to neither too seriously focus on TG:CTE nor secure an enough budget for TG:CTE to update. I kinda agree because tbh this game looks like alpha version on its tests. Combat mechanic is still very good though which remained "potential".

Unless this game makes lots of new players like SAO, then there seems like really no way that would trigger devs to update the game because its anime has been failed and that's just a fact.

Both God Eater and Code Vein makes lots of sales but they do not originate from the anime but started first as anime games, I quite envy that because that shows how an anime game with quality can survive by itself without any aids of anime.

Well of course that's not the entirety of it, but yeah I think it has a major part to play. The fanbase of SAO is almost double that of Tokyo Ghoul. I think that fanbase would carry itself.

Personally i'd guess it's harder for an anime to become a game than vice-versa. Yeah, for sure you have your fanbase with an anime game, but just as a developer/publisher you also already have a decent following too. So when an original project comes around it's built from the ground up, the gameplay and story work together. Whereas when you have an anime with already established mechanics, you are limited in what you can do. That's all conjecture of course. And there obviously will be plenty of exceptions/flaws.

I think the Sword Art Online games were executed very well. They brought together a bunch of completely original storylines and new characters. So even if you hate the gameplay, you stick around for the storyline. Lets be honest, Re Hollow Fragment was awful gameplay-wise. But I stayed just for the story. It's inticing as a fan of the franchise. That's something Tokyo Ghoul Call To Exist completely lacks, no original story, not even based from the manga. It is based directly from the anime that was recieved poorly, even by a lot of Tokyo Ghoul fans because it didn't stick to the source material. And then the Re anime which was recieved poorly due to the drop in animation/budget and completely skipped/rushed storyline.

Oh well, fingers crossed. I hope they prove me completely wrong and release some amazing content.
(04-06-2020, 02:46 AM)RainVGC Wrote:  
Quote:So.. You think the number of anime game sales depends on the success of its anime. And in that point, Tokyo Ghoul has failed its anime, Tokyo Ghoul Re which you said.

Well of course that's not the entirety of it, but yeah I think it has a major part to play. The fanbase of SAO is almost double that of Tokyo Ghoul. I think that fanbase would carry itself.

Personally i'd guess it's harder for an anime to become a game than vice-versa. Yeah, for sure you have your fanbase with an anime game, but just as a developer/publisher you also already have a decent following too. So when an original project comes around it's built from the ground up, the gameplay and story work together. Whereas when you have an anime with already established mechanics, you are limited in what you can do. That's all conjecture of course. And there obviously will be plenty of exceptions/flaws.

I think the Sword Art Online games were executed very well. They brought together a bunch of completely original storylines and new characters. So even if you hate the gameplay, you stick around for the storyline. Lets be honest, Re Hollow Fragment was awful gameplay-wise. But I stayed just for the story. It's inticing as a fan of the franchise. That's something Tokyo Ghoul Call To Exist completely lacks, no original story, not even based from the manga. It is based directly from the anime that was recieved poorly, even by a lot of Tokyo Ghoul fans because it didn't stick to the source material. And then the Re anime which was recieved poorly due to the drop in animation/budget and completely skipped/rushed storyline.

Oh well, fingers crossed. I hope they prove me completely wrong and release some amazing content.

That's the probably the point I am missing in every anime games because I am multiplayer-focused anime gamer who are not a fan of Tokyo Ghoul (and also not a fan of any animes of their anime games I played so far) and I am also who usually don't care about storylines but only care if I can customize decent anime character lookings and enjoy its combat system because both customizing and combat system features are usually what is considered the most important in multiplayer to show my characters (avatars) to others and enjoy very well in such an funny combat system in multiplayer. So far only PEACH BEACH SPLASH and Tokyo Ghoul satisfied me very well in those 2 points, anime character customization and combat system. Well TG:CTE lacks in anime character customization somewhat though, it needs more costumes, hairs, faces and so on.

It is rather surprising to hear many fans can stay that long time even if the combat system isn't fun at all, or even if overall gameplay isn't fun at all. Then I can guess that they at least buy a copy of the game and think they have contributed to their beloved anime in order to satisfy that themselves as a fan. This is completely different to my behaviour since I buy anime games as an anime gamer but not fan of its anime.

So to sum up, there are much more numbers of people who buy anime games as a fan of its anime, rather than people who can enjoy anime games independently as a game, and main target of Bandai Namco in the market is that group of people since numbers are larger.

One of my Japanese friends told me that Bandai Namco might determine the future plan for updates at preordering stage before the first game release. If the number of preorders are small, they might cancel upcoming supports upon the game because they maybe probably have gathered some data/statistic that are helpful to predict the future of the games in terms of population that will be either dead or making huge cash out of it for them. So I think preoder is important to let them make long plan before the game release, but just a conjecture. But I think I highly agree in this because making a plan for updates should be a stage must be done prior to its release.
Jotaku, Anime Game Gamer
Quote:That's the probably the point I am missing in every anime games because I am multiplayer-focused anime gamer who are not a fan of Tokyo Ghoul (and also not a fan of any animes of their anime games I played so far) and I am also who usually don't care about storylines but only care if I can customize decent anime character lookings and enjoy its combat system because both customizing and combat system features are usually what is considered the most important in multiplayer to show my characters (avatars) to others and enjoy very well in such an funny combat system in multiplayer. So far only PEACH BEACH SPLASH and Tokyo Ghoul satisfied me very well in those 2 points, anime character customization and combat system. Well TG:CTE lacks in anime character customization somewhat though, it needs more costumes, hairs, faces and so on.

It is rather surprising to hear many fans can stay that long time even if the combat system isn't fun at all, or even if overall gameplay isn't fun at all. Then I can guess that they at least buy a copy of the game and think they have contributed to their beloved anime in order to satisfy that themselves as a fan. This is completely different to my behaviour since I buy anime games as an anime gamer but not fan of its anime.

So to sum up, there are much more numbers of people who buy anime games as a fan of its anime, rather than people who can enjoy anime games independently as a game, and main target of Bandai Namco in the market is that group of people since numbers are larger.

One of my Japanese friends told me that Bandai Namco might determine the future plan for updates at preordering stage before the first game release. If the number of preorders are small, they might cancel upcoming supports upon the game because they maybe probably have gathered some data/statistic that are helpful to predict the future of the games in terms of population that will be either dead or making huge cash out of it for them. So I think preoder is important to let them make long plan before the game release, but just a conjecture. But I think I highly agree in this because making a plan for updates should be a stage must be done prior to its release.

See that's interesting. I only tend to buy anime games of shows i've watched. And if they release games from series I don't know about I refuse to play it until i've watched the series as a whole. That's because I don't want the game to spoil me on what happens in the anime, and also so I can appreciate and notice minor details that I might not have before with context. At the same time, I think it's a more enjoyable experience to play with shows/characters you have investment in. For example, Black Clover released years ago and I still haven't watched it yet so therefore I didn't buy the game. I plan to at one point, just after I catch up with the series as a whole. Similar thing with Senran Kagura, I knew that the game came before the anime adaptation, so i've yet to watch it. I'm assuming they share storylines which would spoil things.

Yes, that makes sense. Personally I rarely Pre-Order. But I guess the number scales in a similar manner so you can easily base it from that. Guess i'll consider pre-ordering more nowadays xD
Understood. I'll PM you now since I already wrote it.
I need help if possible please help.. my user name is J0N0-_-914 on PSN and those 2 online trophy’s are bothering me.
I have discussed about this with @VioletNico  yesterday, we concluded it's a marketing strategy that Bandai Namco usually performs to make a profit. Unless it is the level of success at Dragon Ball FighterZ or Tekken, you can pretty much assume that they will stop updating the game eventually at certain point. The only reason why Sword Art Online Fatal Bullet had multiple updates is because they made better units sold than other SAO series at that time, I guess.

To be honest, this makes me quite hesitant to buy Jujutsu Kaisen: Cursed Clash just because it has PvP content. If your game has PVP content, but it's certain that updates will stop so that the death of game's multiplayer is guaranteed, then all the effort and practice you put into the PvP content will go to waste. Here I am not saying they are wrong. Rather, they have to because they are company perusing the profit.
Jotaku, Anime Game Gamer

Share this thread in social media

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Karcat~kaneki
01-10-2019, 01:46 AM