Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Does generating Youtube-only contents actually help people increase gaming skills?

Does generating Youtube-only contents actually help people increase gaming skills?
My answer: 50%. It is just because watching videos is not the most effective, natural and time-saving way to learn something as a standalone tool.

As you see our major contents is many written professional gaming guides around the games, which in many times they come with supporting material like images and videos. However, if you wonder if it ever helps comparing to watching only on some random Youtube/else videos for increasing your gaming skills, please read on.

Many people in this days more tend to learn stuff via videos like Youtube by watching instead of reading articles on the website like this. I believe that is because watching is generally easier and fun than reading. 

However, does just watching 30min or more minutes video actually help people increase their gaming skills comparing to reading written guides?

This actually is very important because if it does then the website like this doesn't have to exist at all. We all should move everything to Youtube, right? 
Thus, I have been thinking about this matter a lot, and here is my opinions.

Think about how regular education teaches people like school and college does.
Do they use written textbook? => Yes.
Do they use supporting material like video in the class? => Yes.
How written textbook helps you? => Basically I think when it comes to textbook it usually have all kinds of information for the test, and the score on the test depends on how much you have understood, memorized, practiced stuffs covered in the book. However sometimes for some thoeries some books explain it in very difficult way. In such case, usually watching video helps me better.
* Here written textbook is somewhat equivalent to written guide on the website.
How the video is used when it comes to regular education? => Usually to point out or explain main and major problem with easier explanation, and let people memorize better by emphasizing. However it doesn't cover all the stuffs that can be covered on the test. So most students they own the textbook for the class.

For example, take a look at How to melee spam? (aka. infinite) A guide with videos. By reading it it takes about 30sec to read but it takes more than 90sec to watch those 2 videos. Reading is generally faster than watching video so you don't waste 2x time to understand same concept covered in both of written message and videos. However, if I was to explain this in a written form only, it would be much harder for people to understand the concept of that bugged spam. In this case the video is needed. However If you want to say that why written materials is even needed to explain things like this. But what if the theory and logic inside is way too long then how would you memorize the concepts of those logics and theories via just watching videos? So in this case written material is needed.

So basically the best teaching experiences only happens when a user has an access to both written material and video material. 

The answer is that they have to do both. If one is really ought to help others in increasing their gaming skills, they have to create both of the written contents and video materials to support their written texts. If you simply upload a video without enough explanation inside, you are only showing off your skills, but not teaching others. Although you put enough explanation inside your video as a speech or subtitles in the video, that cannot be as rich info as written text outside of the video because of the limitation as a video form. Thus you will need both, just like the natural way you used to learn in your college/school.

Well, this is my thought about Youtube/Twitch vs Forum/Blog for gaming experience. And I think this is a guide that actually demonstrate the most natural way on how to teach people via various pro guides and builds in the most effective and time-saving way.

If you have an opinion, feel free to leave anything.
Thanks.
Jotaku, Anime Game Gamer
I. Super Mecha Champions NA Legendary Tier
II. Tokyo Ghoul: re Call to Exist NA Top #2
III. Fate/EXTELLA Link: NA Top #9
IV. Senran Kagura PEACH BEACH SPLASH: NA Top #3

Share this thread in social media

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post