Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Steam Deck vs Nintendo Switch

Better response on post Steam Deck vs Nintendo Switch[Image: nL0PpnH.jpg]

Ok, Valve (Steam) is launching a new handheld console that runs PC games in 2022 February for 399 USD.

It has a linux OS named Steam OS (alternative to Microsoft Windows), so you can browse many websites using Google Chrome. On linux, there are many tools you can use for free such as LibreOffice (Microsoft Office alternative), Kdenlive (Video editing tool like Adobe Premiere). Then what's the difference between this Linux thing and Windows? Well, Linux OS is free while Microsoft Windows is not. And also, many software on Linux are free while Windows' aren't. 

[Image: 5hoTDqw.jpg]

By looking at this graphic level, the spec I guess it has a better performance than Nintendo Switch. Well it should because it runs desktop OS as well which allows you to do various things other than gaming.

By here, let me finish brief introduction about Linux thing abd get to the main point.

When a game is released on Windows, basically it only runs on Windows. It doesn't allow Linux to run Windows game. However, there is a technology called protondb, which makes Linux os run Windows games. However, not all games are supported. You can search which games can be run via protondb website:

[Image: 8YKTqNa.jpg]

Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet is supported via proto db, Kurtzpel as well. If you wonder what gold, platinum, or native means, check out their website. Simply put, they basically means how smooth a windows game can be run on linux device.

Well, is it worth buying?
From my perspective, if you are competitive pvp gamer, i don't think you may need it that much because whatever Windows games you run on it, it will be a bit slower than running it in actual Windows. You don't like lagging as competitive games are competitive. For the games that it runs natively without the use of protondb, then it does not matter. You can definitely get it in this case.

Thus, if you are casual gamer playing around mainly singleplayer and co-op games then you may want it, especially if you ever wanted to buy Nintendo Switch while you were more PC gamer so that sort of tendency prevented you from buying Nintendo Switch before.

Additionally I think you can connect keyboard and mouse via bluetooth and play so there is no issue about selection between kbm and controller.

You may also want to get this if you wanted to have handheld PC at reasonable price. 

Lastly please make sure that there are not many anime games natively supported on PC Linux. You will need protondb to play most of anime games. In fact, most of major anime games are released on PC Windows or PS5, not even Nintendo Switch.

I remember about 10 years ago they were releasing Steam Machine and Steam Controller, in which both were failed as a result, and then now releasing even handheld version of them. But at that time when the Steam Machine released, protondb wasn't exist. So this might be different in this time lol.

If you are ever going to get this handheld, please let us know. I really want to talk about this device.
Also feel free to leave your thought!
Jotaku, Anime Game Gamer
I. Super Mecha Champions NA Legendary Tier
II. Tokyo Ghoul: re Call to Exist NA Top #2
III. Fate/EXTELLA Link: NA Top #9
IV. Senran Kagura PEACH BEACH SPLASH: NA Top #3
Better response on post RE: Steam Deck vs Nintendo SwitchAs we've said, the Steam Deck has the best compute hardware nestled inside its frame and so can run games at a higher FPS than the Switch and more taxing games too.
(12-07-2022, 10:37 AM)Ariah Wrote:  As we've said, the Steam Deck has the best compute hardware nestled inside its frame and so can run games at a higher FPS than the Switch and more taxing games too.

Honestly, I've been thinking a lot since then, but the key was the weight and usage. I'm still hesitant to buy a Steam Deck or not.
To run an OS similar to Windows, such as Linux (SteamOS, Ubuntu, etc), parts with considerable hardware performance are also required, and in the process, great weight from each part has been added to Steam Deck. Therefore, compared to the Switch, it is not very good in terms of portability, and I think it is difficult to carry around.

From my perspective, Nintendo Switch is also not a very good game machine in terms of software. The reason is that , it doesn't support at needed functionalities such as chat function or web browser, very basic things. I barely able to play any multiplayer anime games on that platform.

Personally I would get Steam Deck if I have to choose.

Idk, do you feel too weighted? everytime I watch YouTube videos about Steam deck, they says it's too heavy not to go everywhere with it. Those things are making it hard for me to buy a Steam Deck.

TBH anime games doesn't require way too good hardware spec so if Steam Deck Lite can release, it would be awesome for anime games.
Jotaku, Anime Game Gamer
Well, I bought it as it went to 10% sale for a week.
Let's see how USEFUL this device is when it comes to ANIME GAMING!

[Image: XwdLfMQ.png]

I bought 64GB version as I heard I can save up to $200 if I manually upgrade the device lol
Jotaku, Anime Game Gamer
Now I experienced both of them, and finally concluded myself that Steam Deck is better than Switch tbh in terms of cost-performance due to computer functionality. Also for games Steam goes sales so frequently than any other platforms.

First time I felt it was a little heavy and then 1~2 week after now I don't feel such uncomfortable. Maybe I get used to its weight. In terms of graphic/gaming performance, I think it is at like middle of PS4 and PS5. It runs most AAA anime games at 40-60fps.

I even replaced my laptop with new Steam Deck for next 5~7 years.

Most of all, in terms of small multiplayer population for all anime games, that was the critical problem of nintendo switch for me. And this is what makes me stick to either PC or PlayStation games.

I think Sony perhaps need to make similar thing namely PS Vita 2??? that comes with OtherOS features like early PS3?
Jotaku, Anime Game Gamer
Better response on post RE: Steam Deck vs Nintendo SwitchHave had both Steam Deck and Nintendo Switch (unfortunately, the Switch died due to an "accident"). Generally speaking, I would choose the Steam Deck any day if I had to choose 1. Why? Because I have access to my Steam library, making it an excellent choice for a (mainly) PC gamer
(12-12-2023, 12:46 PM)AllanJohansenfysu Wrote:  Have had both Steam Deck and Nintendo Switch (unfortunately, the Switch died due to an "accident"). Generally speaking, I would choose the Steam Deck any day if I had to choose 1. Why? Because I have access to my Steam library, making it an excellent choice for a (mainly) PC gamer

yes if the case is daily usage, i agree with that as it's just a pc required for daily task for most of modern people.

but for light gamers, oppositely it seems to be that they actually prefer nintendo switch over steam deck. mainly becuz they don't have to play AAA games as a light gamer and also like Switch's portability, as steam deck is kinda heavier and bigger than other handhelds.

Maybe all the selling strategies Nintendo might adopt against global selling Steam Deck is contracting more of nintendo-exclusive AAA titles like Fire Emblem, Pokemon and also polish its light & portability.
Jotaku, Anime Game Gamer

Share this thread in social media

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post